Holiday Toll Taken, Don’t Forget

April W Holdridge Photography, All Rights Reserved


Holidays can be challenging, right? I've been thinking about Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Valentine's Day lately. There are times when I wish these holidays didn't exist. They can take a toll on our mental well-being and wallets. As I get older, I feel more emotional during these celebrations. I thought it would be the opposite. I thought I would grow used to them not being here, but with every accomplishment, from the kids to the grandkids, I will start wishing my loved ones could be here to celebrate with us more than ever, causing a flood of memories and emotions.


Dealing with the loss of my father to suicide makes these holidays even more challenging for me. It's stressful to pick out gifts and cards for others because it reminds me of my father and his situation. Sometimes, my kids don't fully understand how these holidays affect me. Getting to see them can make a big difference, but sometimes, I don't even get a phone call. It breaks my heart and makes an already challenging time almost unbearable. I am trying to take my time and figure out how to address this issue when I am not feeling so hurt. With my Bipolar Disorder, I then start picking myself to pieces, trying to figure out what I did. Not to put all the weight on my children, I am just saying that seeing them on those holidays would help soften the rest.


I understand that people dealing with mental health issues may find the holidays to be more challenging. The holidays can affect our mental health in various ways depending on our circumstances. It's upsetting to think that others may be experiencing even more pain than I am.

It's important to acknowledge these potential challenges and take steps to manage stress and maintain mental health during the holiday season. If the stress worsens, consider setting realistic expectations, maintaining healthy habits, and seeking support when needed. Remember, it's okay to prioritize your well-being and set boundaries that help you enjoy the holidays to the fullest.


You can try these ideas to help during these difficult times such as holidays.


Practice self-care

  • Schedule time for yourself and activities that recharge your mind and body. These can include regular exercise, eating healthy meals, staying hydrated, and making sleep a priority.

Practice mindfulness

  • Try mindfulness, meditation, or deep breathing to calm your mind and slow your heart rate.

Take a break

  • If news or social media are causing you stress, take a break. You can also try to follow a regular schedule daily and build time for breaks.


I know these sound almost too simple, but they really do help. Mindfulness helps me more than any of them, but I usually need a little of each.

Please remember that we all need Grace from others and Grace for ourselves throughout the year and holidays, not just at Christmas. Here's a reminder to help you through this Father's Day.


Stressed spelled backward is desserts.
Loreta Laroche








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quanisha Davis Found

Obey! Can you?

Do You Really Know Them?